Quick action kept a small kitchen fire at Wendy’s in Kahului from becoming a big one. Maui Fire Department crews from Kahului responded to an alarm at the fast food restaurant on East Kamehameha Avenue shortly after midnight today. Flames were spotted coming from a stove.
Using a fire extinguisher, the blaze was quickly doused and the whole drama was over within five minutes. There were seven Wendy’s employees on duty at the time. All were evacuated and there were no injuries. The source of the fire appears to be a faulty connection of a gas line to a stove. Damages were contained to the stove and estimated at $500.00.
A kitchen fire at Waiehu Beach Center caused about $5,000 in damage late Tuesday night. Maui Fire Crews responded to an alarm at 10:38 p.m.at the Waiehu Beach Center, 270 Waiehu Beach Road. When Fire fighters arrived they were informed of a slight odor of smoke within the building. Upon investigation, they found a fire in the kitchen of the Watercress Lounge, that had been controlled by the automatic fire suppression system. The building’s attic space was also found to be filled with smoke, but search showed no fire extension.The fire was contained to the kitchen.
The Watercress lounge was unoccupied at the time of the alarm, but Maui Police officers on scene evacuated other occupants as Fire crews conducted their investigation. Approximately 40 people of other businesses within the Beach Center were evacuated.
After clearing the smoke with mechanical fans the fire was called extinguished at 12:51 a.m.
Fire damage was estimated at $5,000 done to the stove and back wall. Cause of the fire was accidental, due to unattended pot left on the stove. No injuries were reported.
WAILUKU - The County of Maui’s Department of Environmental Management reported that a wastewater overflow of approximately 21,527 gallons occurred this morning due to clogged pumps at the Kihei #6 Pump Station (KalamaPark). The overflow was reported at 7:45 a.m. and was stopped by 9:08 a.m.
The overflow occurred at the corner of S. Kihei Road and Welakahao Road, the corner of Halama Street and Waimahaihai Place, and the corner of Auhana and S. Kihei Road. A portion of the overflow entered the storm drain system at Welakahao Road and S. Kihei Road, and at Auhana Street and S. Kihei Road. Bacteriological analyses were conducted and signs were posted; however, the department is confident the overflow did not reach the ocean, and there are no beach closures.
The pumps were unclogged, standing water removed and the spill sites cleaned and disinfected. The State Department of Health has been notified. Maui Police closed South Kihei Road for about 90 minutes during the cleanup, and Maui Fire Department crews hosed the roads to disperse the contaminant.
Where’s there’s Kunk Pao, there’s smoke. Fortunately, that was the extent of damage today when a small fire forced the evacuation of Dragon Dragon Restaurant in the Maui Mall. MauiWatch first reported the incident almost immediately after smoke was spotted.
At 12:08 p/,/ today, Maui Fire Department crews from Kahului were dispatched to 70 East Kaahumanu Avenue to the Dragon Dragon Restaurant for a reported structure fire. Crews arrived to find the fire out, and patrons evacuated from the restaurant. The fire, which was contained to the stove, was extinguished by the automatic fire sprinkler system.
The cause of the fire is considered accidental, due to a valve on the stove malfunctioning. A 52 year old male employee suffered minor burns to his arms and face. He refused medical transport.
Monetary damage estimated to be $500.00 – minor water damage on the ceiling tiles and no food product loss. The structure had no significant damage.
By Capt. Lee Mainaga, MFD
WAILUKU – Maui County Dept of Fire and Public Safety is proud to announce that it has hit their goal of 500 alarms installed in Maui County homes by the Smoke Alarm Maui program (SAM). Between the Maui Fire Dept. (MFD) and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) it took going into 115 homes and working with 115 families to get this feat accomplished.
SAM covered homes on all three islands, Maui, Molokai and Lanai. We installed in 27 homes on Molokai and 4 on Lanai. The MFD putting in 230 hours on working the Fire Safety Education with families by completing a home safety survey as well as teaching them about making home escape plans, considerations for fire and life safety and how to maintain the smoke alarms that were installed. The IBEW spent more than 178 man hours accompanying us to 56 homes to assist with the installation.
The journey began July 5th with a grant awarded by Assistance to Fire Fighters Public Education Grant. They awarded $10,000 to MFD to initiate the program to purchase the alarms through Lowes Kahului. After a slight delay to start getting the paperwork in order we began installation on Jan 12, 2013 of the initial 7 homes with the first home belonging to Rufina Peralta of Waikapu. We installed 4 smoke alarms in her home to protect her family, a daughter and two grandchildren.
We hit our 500 mark with the installation of 4 smoke alarms in the home of Chrisanta Cabrera of Kahului on Oct 28, 2013. They were very grateful and happy to be the 500th alarm recipients. Her Daughter Frances Nelson or as I know her “Fran” from Maui County FCU wrote “This program is such a blessing…my moms house was long overdue to have those installed”. “Thank you for giving our family peace of mind by installing those alarms”.
We have even better news…we have received more alarms! Through a grant of smoke alarms through Home Depot, the State Fire Council that includes our Fire Chief Jeffrey Murray, donated another 500 alarms. We are happy to be able to continue to offer this program to our community. Applications will still be available at Kaunoa Senior center in Kuau, Office on Aging and MEO Offices at CameronCenter in Wailuku. Applications also available at all county fire stations and online at www.mauicounty.gov/fireprevention.
Chief Murray said “The Maui Fire Department is proud to have reached and helped so many in our community. Smoke alarms provide an early warning of fire, giving you and your family more time to safely evacuate your home. With the continued assistance of the IBEW, we look forward to the installation of the next round of smoke alarms. Smoke alarms save lives – anyone qualified can apply for the SAM program. Best of all, it’s free!”
As always the Dept of Fire and Public Safety would encourage all residence to practice fire safety at all times by making and practicing fire escape plans with your families and installing smoke alarms and testing them regularly. If you have any questions about fire safety or want more information on how to apply for you or your family members check out our website www.mauicounty.gov/fireprevention or contact Inspector Kapono Stupplebeen at 244-9161 ext 27.
Police and Fire investigators are combing through the ashes this morning at the HC&S Sugar Mill in Pu’unene where a fire sent up major flames and smoke – but caused no monetary damage last night.
Mauiwatch posted the first image, and followed with updates throughout the event. The Facebook phenom received constant input from Maui motorists who witnessed the likely-suspicious fire.
At 5:15 p.m. Saturday, firefighters from Kahului, Wailuku, and Wailea responded to the HC&S Sugar Mill for a reported structure fire. Crews arrived to find an area about 40,000 square feet, containing approximately 200 heavy equipment tires involved with fire.
The fire in the tire pit, located to the rear of Puunene Mill off of Hansen Road was 50 percent involved. Firefighters surrounded the fire and brought it under control by 7:50 p.m. No other exposures were threatened and no injuries were reported.
The tires, considered scrap, had no monetary value. The cause of the fire is undetermined. However, the blaze brings the total of at least 13 fires involving HC&S property, structures and cane fields since July.
Copyright © 2013 - Island News Technologies, LLC - All rights reserved