A young boy from Texas is in serious condition this morning after suffering third degree burns when a pot of boiling water fell on him in East Maui Monday. Also, a 72 year-old man is lucky to be alive after he suffered an allergic reaction from multiple bee stings while hiking in West Maui.
The first incident happened at 10:11 a.m. Monday at the Kipahulu campgrounds inside Haleakala National Park. Police and paramedics responded to a call after the accident. The 11 year-old Boy Scout was here with a troop from El Paso, TX, when the mishap occurred. The burns were serious enough that the boy had to be airlifted to Maui Memorial Medical Center in serious but not life-threatening condition. The scout was then flown to O’ahu in stable condition for further treatment. His parents were notified and are flying to O’ahu to be with their son.
The second incident happened at 5:30 p.m. Monday. Lahaina firefighters were called to Ukumehame Valley when a 72 year-old man suffered an allergic reaction to multiple bee stings. The victim was hiking with another man when they encountered the bees about a mile into the trail. The bee sting victim did not have his Epi-pen with him and was unable to walk on his own. Air-1 was called in and the man was airlifted to a landing zone where he was transported to MMMC in stable condition.
The man’s hometown was not available. Kahului rescue crews also aided in the man’s rescue.