KAHULUI – If it seemed like you heard sirens nearly non-stop this weekend – close. Maui Fire Department crews were moving at an almost frenetic pace dousing blazes, protecting lives and saving property.
Here, prepared by Capt. Edward Taomoto, Fire Services Officer, is a snapshot of brush fires or structure fires that Maui Fire Department responded to between 7:30 a.m. July 4, and 7:30 a.m. July 5:
- 7:44 a.m. Brushfire, Kukona Place, Wailuku, 25 square feet of brush burned, Cause undetermined.
- 12:43 p.m., Structure fire, Alani Place, Wailuku, Damages were $100,000 to structure, $15,000 to contents, Cause undetermined.
- 2:01 p.m., Brushfire, Kaiola Place, Kihei, Between Piilani Highway and Kaiola Place, two acres of brush burned, Cause was undetermined.
- 4:04 p.m., Brushfire, Kaiola Place, Kihei, 150 yards south of first fire on Kaiola Place, about half acre of brush burned, Cause undetermined.
- 7:48 p.m. Brushfire, Shaw Street, Lahaina, On old cane haul road near Lahaina Aquatic Center, 1,000 square feet of brush burned, Children seen in area playing with fireworks just prior.
- 8:55 p.m. Brushfire, Alahao Street, Kahului, Across of Kanaha Beach Park campground, 600 square feet of brush, Children seen in area playing with fireworks just prior.
- 9:05 p.m. Brushfire, Haulani Street, Pukalani, On residential street, 250 square feet of grass. Children seen in area playing with fireworks just prior.
- 10:01 p.m. Unscheduled sugar cane fire, Baldwin Avenue, Paia. Sugar cane field mauka of Loina Place. Homes on Loina Place were evacuated and three acres were consumed, Children seen in area playing with fireworks just prior.
- 10:17 p.m. Brushfire, Kahawai Street, Wailuku, Between Kahawai St. and Iao Stream, 50 sq. ft. of grass burned, Children seen in area playing with fireworks just prior.
- 10:34 p.m. Brushfire, Holomua Rd. Paia, one quarter-mile mauka of Hana Highway. About 750 square feet of brush burned. Cause undetermined.
Of the 10 fire calls, at least half were likely sparked by children and fireworks. Luckily our MFD heroes were on the spot preventing injury and loss of life and property.