The loud noises and bright lights that make the Fourth of July so exciting for people can be frightening for pets.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you celebrate:
- The most important thing you can do is ensure that your furry friends have identification and update your contact information with the Maui Humane Society.
- Keep your companion animal safely indoors. Once the festivities begin, keep your pet in a room he enjoys. He will be a lot happier indoors, and not tempted to leap over a fence to find you.
- Do not leave pets outside and unattended, even in a fenced yard or on a chain. Animals may panic, escape, get lost or injured.
- Resist taking your pet to fireworks displays. Most animals don’t enjoy the holiday’s noisy spectacles.
- Consult with your veterinarian before the holiday for ways to alleviate their fear and anxiety.
Should your pet become lost, immediately file a lost report with the Maui Humane Society. If you find a stray animal, bring him to our 24-hour admissions center, where he will have the best chance of being reunited with his owner.
We hope you have a happy Fourth of July.