A fire determined accidental totally destroyed a carport of an Olinda home Monday. Maui Fire Department units were dispatched at 1:20 p.m. Monday to 110 Hawea Place, off Olinda Road. The original report was for a trash can fire. However, on the way to the scene, fire crews learned that it was a possible structure fire, units from Kula and Kahului were also dispatched.
On arrival at 1:35 p.m., firefighters observed a 1,200 square foot detached carport fully engulfed in flames – nearly burned to the ground. Crews managed to bring the fire under control five minutes later, and the Kahului fire crews were cancelled. Fire was called extinguished at 3:20 p.m.
Cleaners working in the home at the time reported the fire. Investigation revealed that improper disposal of fireplace ash into a trash can was the cause. Damages were estimated at $20,000 to contents including a vehicle that was inside and $10,000 to the structure. No other structures, including the main house were damaged and no injuries were reported.