Maui Civil Defense Agency will host Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training classes in Lanai City.
CERT is a training program that prepares you to help yourself, your family, and your neighbors in the event of a disaster.
During a disaster, emergency service personnel may not be able to reach everyone right away. CERT helps provide critical support to victims, providing damage assessment information, and organizing other volunteers at a disaster site. The role of a CERT volunteer is to help others until trained emergency personnel arrive.
CERT training is free to Maui County residents. The 28-hour course is taught over several days, consisting of classroom instruction and field exercises. Students will learn to:
• Identify and anticipate hazards
• Reduce fire hazards in the home and work place
• Extinguish small fires
• Conduct light search and rescue
• Set up medical treatment areas
• Apply basic medical techniques
• Help reduce survivor stress
CERT training is open to people of all abilities, age 18 and older, no previous experience needed. Ages 14-17 may attend with a parent or legal guardian.
The schedule for Lanai classes is:
- 1/31 Saturday Lanai High & Elementary School – Cafeteria 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 2/7 Saturday Lanai Senior Center 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 2/14 Saturday Lanai High & Elementary School – Cafeteria 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 2/21 Saturday Lanai High & Elementary School – Cafeteria 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Participants must register to attend the training. Class size is limited and registration will be on a first come, first served basis. To register, contact Maui Civil Defense at (808) 270-7285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.