Maui Fire Department investigators have determined that a house fire in Wailuku Sunday afternoon was caused by a mishap with a gas generator that was providing power to the structure. The house, at 60 Wilikona Place in Wailuku, was home to two people who safely evacuated.
The call came in Sunday at 4:38 p.m. MFD crews from Wailuku and Kahului were dispatched to a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, they observed flames erupting through the roof at the center of the 2,600 square-foot residential structure. They brought the fire under control by 5:30 p.m. and it was called extinguished shortly thereafter.
The fire damage to the structure was extensive with damages estimated at $300,000 to the structure and $50,000 to its contents. There were no injuries to report.