A Kihei family is safe – but without a home today. Yesterday afternoon, their home was severely damaged by a fire that may have been sparked by fireworks.
At 4:31 p.m., Maui Fire Department crews from Kihei and Wailea responded to reports of a home burning at 210 Oe Street. Upon arrival, firefighters observed flames fully engulfing the building. All occupants were safely out of the house. The story, single family dwelling was fully involved moments after crews reached the scene.
The structure and contents of the backyard were involved in fire. The fire was called under control by 5:20 p.m. and extinguished at 8:42 p.m. Damages to the property were as follows: Structure $400,000.00; Contents $50,000.00; and $70,000.00 to vehicles and miscellaneous equipment that was stored in the backyard. The fire originated in the backyard and quickly spread to the structure.
The cause of the fire is considered accidental due to fireworks. There were no injuries reported and the American Red Cross responded to assist family members.