Two men from Kihei are likely very glad they had employed safety precautions before an incident that could have killed them both.
Around 3 p.m. Wednesday, the two men were working on power lines in Haiku. Both men are employees of Henkels and McCoy. At one point, one of the men reached for a “temporary jumper” when a very loud “bang” was clearly heard throughout the area.
The preliminary investigation indicates the line experienced an electrical “arc,” where pure electricity jumped through the air from one conductor to the next closest one. The two men each suffered “thickness” burns, described as serious but not fatal. Both men were transported from the scene in Haiku to Maui Memorial Medical Center, then to Straub Hospital on O’ahu – a facility that specializes in these types of cases. Both Kihei residents are 26 years old.
Power was lost to 1,322 MECO customers in the area for about 50 minutes. One of the men reportedly lost consciousness for a period of time before paramedics arrived.