Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senators Mazie K. Hirono and Dean Heller (R-NV) have filed an amendment to S.1197, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This legislation will help all eligible Filipino veterans receive the compensation they are entitled to for their service to the United States during World War II.
“Mahalo to Senator Heller for partnering with me to help ensure all Filipino World War II veterans who bravely served alongside Americans in the critical South West Pacific Theatre receive the compensation they have earned. Given the advanced age of many of these Filipino veterans, we simply cannot wait any longer to establish a process that fairly recognizes veterans who deserve benefits,” said Hirono.
“This amendment is the least we can do for our nation’s brave Filipino veterans. Every effort must be made to ensure that those individuals who valiantly served alongside U.S. troops are properly recognized for their contributions to our nation. I am proud to work across party lines with Senator Hirono to ensure these Filipino veterans are treated with dignity and respect,” said Senator Heller.
After World War II, the U.S. Army created the Approved Revised Reconstructed Guerilla Roster of 1948, also known as the “Missouri List,” based on individuals who came forward after the war to receive healthcare. This list has been used by the military to verify those who served alongside U.S. troops in the Philippines. It is possible that some Filipinos who fought were not added to this list and could be improperly denied benefits.
The Filipino Veterans Promise Amendment would direct the Department of Defense (DOD), in consultation with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), to establish a process for determining whether certain individuals meet the necessary service requirements to receive veterans’ benefits and subsequently be verified as a Veteran by the United States Army.
After high surf flooded the pavilion, parking area and much of the sand and grass portions of Baldwin Beach Park last week, the Pa’ia park has remained closed.
Now that the surf has subsided, and hazards have been removed, the park will reopen to walk-in beachgoers starting tomorrow, Wednesday, November 20. Park users can still walk into the park but the gates will remain closed, preventing vehicles from entering.
HONOLULU – On Monday, November 18, the Hawaii State Department of Health (DOH) announced its intention to seize and destroy embargoed OxyELITE Pro products in Hawaii. Shortly thereafter, the Hawaii Department of the Attorney General received a written request from a local attorney asking that DOH suspend the planned disposal and secure the products for potential use as evidence in future litigation. In response to this request, the Attorney General instructed DOH to suspend the disposal and thereafter took temporary possession of the products. While the Attorney General evaluates this request, the products will be stored in a secure location.
On Nov. 18, retailers holding embargoed OxyELITE Pro products voluntarily surrendered their products to DOH inspectors with the understanding that the product would be destroyed. That planned destruction is now on hold and retailers are being notified of this change. Retailers with questions about the seized products may call Anne Lopez, Special Assistant to the Attorney General, at (808) 587-1284 for more information.
At around 12:30 p.m. a male tourist was snorkeling about 20 yards offshore of D.T. Fleming Beach in Kapalua, when he discovered a canister of unknown origin partially buried in eight feet of water.
The man took it to the county lifeguard stand and left it there with Ocean Safety officers, who then called police.
Police arrived shortly afterwards and by 1:10 p.m. had evacuated the park and contacted the Army Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) team from Oahu. Army EOD personnel are schedule to arrive on Maui around 9 p.m. and will determine whether they need to detonate the canister on-site or if they can take it to the firing range at Ukumehame for detonation.
In the meantime, Maui police are keeping the park closed to the public. The canister is described as 8 inches long.
HONOLULU – The Hawaii State Department of Health (DOH) is notifying all retailers that have embargoed OxyELITE Pro product in their possession that DOH will begin collecting and destroying the product. Retailers storing the embargoed product are asked to voluntarily surrender all supplies to DOH today for proper destruction and disposal. This action follows a voluntary recall issued by USPLabs in cooperation with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), and an ongoing DOH disease investigation identifying OxyELITE Pro as the only common factor in multiple cases of liver damage and acute hepatitis in Hawaii. Surrendered products will be taken to H-Power for documented destruction and disposal witnessed by health inspectors.
“The department’s ongoing disease investigation has associated OxyELITE Pro with 36 cases of liver damage and acute hepatitis in Hawaii,” said Health Director Loretta Fuddy. “Voluntary cooperation by retailers is the first step in safely destroying and disposing of products that may pose a threat to the public’s health. The department is taking this step to prevent further illness and protect Hawaii residents and visitors, and may take more stringent legal action if needed. We will continue to work with our federal partners at CDC and FDA on this issue.”
DOH began an investigation of multiple cases of liver failure and acute hepatitis occurring in individuals using dietary or nutritional supplements on Sept. 24 after consultation with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Oct. 8, DOH requested Hawaii retailers and distributors voluntarily pull OxyELITE Pro products from sale. After receiving several indications that the product would not be voluntarily pulled from shelves, the department issued a mandatory embargo the next day. During the embargo process, DOH inspectors visited more than 160 retailers statewide and inventoried 329,509 capsules and 8,342 ounces of powder which were pulled from sale. The product has an estimated retail value of more than $250,000.
An ongoing DOH investigation has identified 36 cases of liver failure and acute hepatitis with the use of OxyELITE Pro products as the only common factor. “The department found that many of the individuals who became ill used the product and took dosages as directed by the package instructions,” said Dr. Sarah Park, state epidemiologist.
DOH continues to urge people who use dietary or nutritional supplements for weight loss and/or muscle gain to talk with their doctor or health care provider. Persons using dietary or nutritional supplements who develop symptoms, such as abdominal pain or discomfort, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and/or vomiting, and yellow skin or eyes, should consult their health care provider immediately.
WAILUKU – The County of Maui’s Department of Environmental Management reported that a wastewater overflow of approximately 21,527 gallons occurred this morning due to clogged pumps at the Kihei #6 Pump Station (KalamaPark). The overflow was reported at 7:45 a.m. and was stopped by 9:08 a.m.
The overflow occurred at the corner of S. Kihei Road and Welakahao Road, the corner of Halama Street and Waimahaihai Place, and the corner of Auhana and S. Kihei Road. A portion of the overflow entered the storm drain system at Welakahao Road and S. Kihei Road, and at Auhana Street and S. Kihei Road. Bacteriological analyses were conducted and signs were posted; however, the department is confident the overflow did not reach the ocean, and there are no beach closures.
The pumps were unclogged, standing water removed and the spill sites cleaned and disinfected. The State Department of Health has been notified. Maui Police closed South Kihei Road for about 90 minutes during the cleanup, and Maui Fire Department crews hosed the roads to disperse the contaminant.
Copyright © 2015 - Island News Technologies, LLC - All rights reserved