WAILUKU,Maui,Hawai`i– At around 8:45 a.m. personnel and customers at theMaui County Service Center at the Maui Mall was evacuated due to the smell of propane gas.
A Maui Fire Department HAZMAT team responded and determined that the smell was not coming from the building but from a nearby gas company that had been purging their tanks. MFD suggested that the air conditioning be turned off and fans brought in to circulate the air.
At 10:10 a.m. the service center resumed normal operations. No one was in need of medical attention.
The service center is usually staffed by about 50 people who work in the Real Property Tax and Motor Vehicle and Licensing divisions. Workers estimate that about fifty customers were at the center at the time of the evacuation.